“Vocational psychology is the study of human behavior at work.”
Bruce Growick, Associate Professor, Ohio State University
I am surprised and sad that when I tell people that I’m a vocational psychologist, they don’t know what that means. Here are some of the things that vocational psychologists do:
- Assessment of interests, values, strengths, etc. as a source of information for career decision-making and development
- Research to promote workplace excellence and employee effectiveness and satisfaction
- Teaching courses related to organizational behavior, counseling psychology, career development and career counseling, etc.
- Workplace consultation in areas such as conflict mediation, team building, leadership development and executive coaching, selection, employee career development, succession planning, and outplacement
- Individual and group career counseling and coaching
There are not nearly enough vocational psychologists to meet the demand of individuals and organizations who could benefit from the expertise offered by these professionals. If you are a psychology student, consider making this your niche! Here is an article I wrote where vocational psychologists give career advice about vocational psychology as a career choice.
To find a vocational psychologist, please visit the small but growing directory below:
Directory of Vocational Psychologists
If you are a vocational psychologist and you would like to be listed here, please email me.
Bryan J. Dik, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Counseling Psychology
Department of Psychology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1876
Lynn Friedman, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist / Psychoanalyst
5480 Wisconsin Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Jenai Wu Steinkeller, Ph.D.
Consulting Psychologist, Psychoanalyst, and Executive Coach
5 Longfellow Place, Suite 209
Boston, MA 02114
Samuel H. Osipow, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus, Psychology
The Ohio State University
Home Address: 330 Eastmoor Blvd.
Columbus, OH 43209-2022
Janet Scarborough Civitelli, Ph.D. – that’s me!
6705 W. Highway 290 #502-102
Austin, TX 78735
.Walter S. Newsom, Ph.D.
The Austin Learning and Assessment Center
Counseling and Vocational Psychologist
Several locations in Austin, TX